10 Benefits of Home Health Care Post-Surgery
Following surgery, assistance is often needed after you or your loved one are discharged from the hospital. Today’s advances in home health care – from monitoring to telemedicine capabilities – offer important alternatives to consider following surgery. Home care can be equal or even better than those received in a hospital or rehabilitation facility. The truth is, and studies have shown, the majority of patients prefer home treatment while recovering from surgery.
Home Health Care
Home health care is a commonly heard term today and includes skilled nursing care, therapy, and companion services at home. Home health care as an industry began its rise in the early 20th century, meeting health care and social needs of at risk populations. Now, in the early 21st century, home health care continues to advance, with more than 10,000 agencies in the United States alone, caring for millions of patients annually.
Home Health Care Assistance During Surgery Recovery
Once you have your surgery scheduled, your mind races as you prepare for all the details. From surgical risks to pain management to recovery time, there is lots to consider as you get ready for your surgery.
In the forefront of your mind, as well as the minds of most people facing surgery, is the hope that you will be able to stay home and heal – after all, there is no place more comfortable when recovering.
While every surgery and recovery is unique, home-based clinical care following your surgery is often a possibility. Home health care post-surgery requires patient and family involvement which includes shared decisions, changes in plans, and flexibility throughout recovery. In-home skilled nursing care often means a faster recovery and can help you avoid additional injuries and subsequent hospital stays.
Making a Home Health Care Post-Surgery Plan
When your surgery is scheduled in advance, your physician can help you understand the approximate length of your recovery as well as the limitations which will be placed on you following surgery and the help you will need while recovering at home. Planning for home health care services before your surgery will help you prepare.
Even in the event of an emergency surgery, home health care post-surgery is possible as a family member can contact home health care services for you.
The 10 Benefits of Home Health Care After Your Surgery
- Following any surgery, pain and discomfort as well as weakness and drowsiness, often make routine tasks and personal care challenging. With the addition of medications and caring for your incision, post-operative care can be difficult, but an in-home home health aide can assist.
- Home health care is customized for you and your post-operative needs
- In-home skilled nurses follow your physician’s direction explicitly, reporting your progress to your doctor.
- Home health care takes care to see that your personal needs are met.
- Home health care is available for a few hours a day or around the clock care whatever you need.
- Home health care delivers a single type of care or a combination, depending on the type of surgery you had.
- In-home skilled nurses deliver medication management and wound care in the convenience of your home. Skilled nursing care also includes monitoring and reporting your progress to your physician.
- Home health care therapists provide physical, occupation, and speech therapy without you ever having to leave your home and go to numerous appointments weekly.
- Home health aides help with personal care needs such as bathing, dressing, light housekeeping and even transportation.
- Home health care means you can recover easily in the comfort of your home with the quality medical care you need, as well as the personal assistance you require.
Post-Surgery Care in Broward County
At Nursing Plus of Broward, we have been offering quality, trusted care to the residents of Broward country since 2007. Our post-surgery care team consists of Registered Nurses (RNs), Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), Therapists, Home Health Aides, and Medical Social Workers. They will help meet your post-operative recovery needs or the post-surgery needs of a loved one.
We provide the care you need following your surgery from cardiac care to joint replacement, and every surgery in between including wound and pain management. In addition, we provide care for those with Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Parkinson’s, Stroke, Respiratory conditions, Diabetes, Low Vision, and Mobility concerns.
If you have any questions or require in-home care in Hallandale, FL, or any of the surrounding Florida communities, please feel free to contact Nursing Plus of Broward today.